Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Is the Internet Boring You?



It's been about 30 years now (give or take) since the Internet was invented and I have started to come to a terrible realisation. The internet is BORING!!!

I remember when the internet was young, as was I, and seemed to define a time of endless possibilities. The world wide web was my oyster so to speak. I sat eagerly with my 28.8k modem bleeping and honking, waiting to connect and then surfing, surfing, surfing until the night wore on. Back in those days, of course I may have only ended up looking at two or three sites in that time. Such was the speed of downloads, that it might take ten minutes to download one photo - just enough time to pop out to make a cup of coffee. 

I remember dreaming of the time when we might have fast internet - where you could maybe watch a video! Or see 10 images show up on the page at one time! Oh the possibilities!

Now of course, here we are. Internet videos take a blink of an eye to load. Streaming movies are just a click away. TV shows are available on demand. Shopping sites are everywhere.

This is of course all terrific, so why do I find myself being bored with it all? Perhaps it's just complacency. Perhaps I'm just a spoilt brat. Whatever it is, I increasingly find I am going to my laptop out of habit, looking at the one or two sites I normally go to (Facebook, Gizmodo, SMH) and then.....I'm stuck. Where to? No idea. I find I want to surf, but yet I don't know where.

How about you? Do you find it hard to know where to go on the Web? Or maybe you have some suggestions about sites I should visit? Comment below and let me know.

By the way, I do know about Stumble Upon, and it has been my saviour on numerous occasions, but even that gets a bit boring after a while. Hard to please aren't I?

1 comment: