Friday, October 14, 2011

iCloud – iSlow!

I updated my partner’s iPhone 3gs last night with the newApple operating system, IOS5. I have to say it was the most painless update so far.  Every previous update with her phone has resulted in crashes/ restores/reloading of older versions of iTunes etc to the point where when I ask her if she wants me to update her phone she winces and asks whether it’s the worth the hassle.
Anyhoo, this morning I setup the ‘backup to iCloud’ function. I must say I was a little bit bemused to see an estimated finish time of 17 hours! I know my upload speed on my cable internet is pretty slow but that sounds a bit ridiculous. Particularly because as far as I can see it’s only backing up contacts and photos and videos captured through the phone.
As it only works over wifi and she is going out this morning, I’m not even sure if it will recommence once she gets back within our wifi range or whether the whole slow process will begin again from scratch.  Hopefully, this is a one-off for the first time and future backups will be quicker. Otherwise I’ll be reverting to ‘backup to PC’ very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment